I have over six years of experience working, interning, and volunteering in the food world. I am driven to understand how restaurants and food impact more communities than just those that dine at them, and am particularly interested in issues of environmental and cultural sustainability, social justice, and workplace treatment. My skills include proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Final Cut Pro, and Atlas.ti. Additionally, I speak, read, and write Mandarin Chinese at a professional working level.
- Front of the House Intern, Summer 2018: New York City
- Completed intensive week-long training as maître d’, server, kitchen server, and barista/bartender at James Beard-award winning restaurant, Untitled at the Whitney Museum in order to assume any position for the remainder of the eight weeks.
- Worked with General Manager to develop and implement comprehensive training programs for all front of the house positions.
- Shadowed executive purchasing managers to understand daily economic, legal, and developmental considerations for a seasonal, New York restaurant.
- Strategy and Operations Intern, Winter 2016 and Summer 2017: Manhattan Beach, California
- Generated monthly sales reports for Yin Yang Natural’s top five brands, analyzed sales trends, and identified product voids.
- Successfully sought out, presented to, and brought in twenty new brands to independent grocery store.
- Managed company files and documents including distributor price lists, sale sheets, and contacts for over 100 brands.
- Conducted Whole Foods store audits, which included merchandising, re-ordering stock, and negotiating shelf space with buyer.
- Garde Manger and Pastry Cook, July 2015 – August 2015: Manhattan Beach, California
- Operated under high pressure to prep, cook, and plate dishes at James Beard-level restaurant, while simultaneously interacting with diners at kitchen counter to create a well-rounded dining experience.
- Worked on the line when restaurant received three- (out of four) star reviews by LA Weekly and Los Angeles Magazine.
- Independent Researcher and Farm Volunteer, June 2015 – July 2015: Modena, Italy
- Received $1,500 grant from competitive Leonard Fund to study alternative methods of conventional farming, as well as the economic and social difficulties that small farms face in Italy and worldwide.
- Lived and worked one-on-one with farm owner on all farm processes, from harvest to markets to crop planting schedules.
- Garde Manger and Pastry Cook, Winter 2012 – Summer 2014: Rancho Palos Verdes, California
- Responsible for prepping, cooking, and plating dishes at fine-dining restaurant of 4-diamond resort.
- Promoted from Garde Manger to sauté station June 2014.
Davidson College Campus Engagement
Ada Cooks Nutrition Cooking Course, Davidson College
- Director of Health Education and Promotion, August 2014 – May 2016: Davidson, North Carolina
- Managed team of eight to develop and execute lesson plans, budget, and supply management for eight-week course for low-income community members.
- Consulted with nutrition professionals, national health programs, and community organizers to understand barriers and points of opportunity of health education for low-income populations.
- Promoted to Director of Health Education and Promotion in May 2015 for identifying opportunity areas in organization structure strengthening and taking initiative to correct inefficiencies in lesson preparation and volunteer training.
- House Liaison, August 2015 – May 2016: Davidson, North Carolina
- Lived alongside and managed ten residents to develop strategic 5 and 10-year plans for intentional living Co-Op that included a proposal for green building renovations, programmatic requirements, budgeting, and specific Co-Op mission statements.
- Negotiated with college administration to approve early move-in for residents and orchestrated comprehensive three-day house orientation that included workshops about conflict management, house budgeting, and resident organization.
- Firsthand Foods B Corp Consultant, September 2016 – December 2016: Raleigh, North Carolina
- Collaborated with Masters students from Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, and NC State to identify key areas for environmental and social impact in Firsthand Foods’ operations allowing the company to pursue official B Corp certification.
- Presented Executive Summary to clinic of over 100 viewers including corporate directors, Masters advisors, and future investors.
Davidson Community Garden and The Farm at Davidson
- Weekly Volunteer, August 2014 – April 2018: Davidson, North Carolina
- Weeded, planted, and harvested produce for the Loaves and Fishes food pantry or the Davidson College Dining Facilities.
- Studied both scientific and business dynamics of independent organic farms.
NCAA Division 1 Varsity Cross Country and Track, Davidson College
- Varisty Athlete, August 2014 – Present: Davidson, North Carolina
- School record holder in indoor Distance Medley Relay, placing third at 2017 Atlantic-10 Indoor Track & Field Championship.
- Crucial scoring runner on team that finished third place at 2017 Atlantic-10 Cross Country Championship.